<VV> Insurance

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 23:37:48 EDT 2011

At 01:13 AM 4/18/2011, sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>Are you saying most people do not buy collision coverage on vehicles
>orth $500 or less,  or that collision insurance is required in your
>tate if the vehicle is valued over $500?
>Here in VA only liability insurance is required, even if the vehicle was
>orth millions. Or you could purchase uninsured motorist plates, but
>nly people with horrible driving records would find uninsured plates
>heaper than actually buying insurance....
>Frank DuVal
>In California, the State requires liability only - in stupidly low
>amounts - The legal owner of the car (If it is a bank, etc.)
>will require the registered owner - probably you, to buy Collision
>insurance to protect their investment. We don't have anything like
>uninsured motorist plates. If there were such a thing, plenty of
>cars would be wearing them here!  - Seth

Nothing different about the actual plates.  It's the fact that the
commonwealth "guarantees" them (which is odd since the commonwealth
only guarantees that you paid that fee) instead of an insurance
company by allowing you to drive without liability insurance.

...you never know who's insured and who's wearing "state covered"
plates.   For that matter:   There have been LOTS of instances where
people simply lie about the insurance and check that little box when
they indeed have diddly.   They think they can get away with it.

Sometimes they do.   But when they do not:   ;)

The irony is that those who would lie about it are usually the ones
irresponsible enough to go out and screw up in the first place, which
is how they ended up NOT having insurance in the first place because
of a horrible record.   The 2nd bit of irony is when they get
caught... and it happens often...  all it takes is for one of those
roadside checks where you get checked for drivers license,
registration, and proof of insurance... fill out the cute little
form... to land you in trouble with the DMV who WILL be sending you
that registered letter with the wonderful news that the
commonwealth's treasury is going to be accepting yet another donation
from you.

If you get caught, you're in for not only trouble but you get
blighted with that SR22 thingy AND its filing expenses AND a
reinstatement fee AND you end up paying that uninsured motorist fee
anyway.   I know three different nitwits who had this happen to
them.   Frankly I'm surprised the commonwealth hasn't made it policy
for drivers to show proof of insurance before they'll give you tags.

tony..