<VV> Insurance now OBD II

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Apr 19 00:45:27 EDT 2011

Same here in VA in select counties of the north.

But, a 1997 GM car is OBD II, so it is an open book on the information
highway. You just need a scanner to start thinking about the problem. At
least in VA that is how OBD II cars are tested, just plug the cars
computer into the shop computer that sends the info directly to the
state computer. If the check engine light is off and the monitors have
run, all is passed. No treadmill test. Fast. $28. Two year period.

Now if CA still has OBD II cars run a treadmill.... What is the BAR
thinking?

Get ye a scanner and investigate. You want horror stories, get a GM of
1994/95 that is OBD I with OBD II connectors. Vary few scanners will
talk to it.

Also, from my other friends in CA, there is a monetary limit for the
repairs to get a smog inspection. Of course the next inspection starts
the money over again.

Frank DuVal