<VV> Un-Insured Insurance

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Apr 19 17:24:32 EDT 2011

Notes below:

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  chaz at properproper.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:53:29 -0700
To: VirtualVairs at corvair.org, tony.underwood at cox.net
Subject: Re: <VV> Un-Insured Insurance

In VA, do you ahve to pay insurance on your unregistered Corvair
"driveway furniture" as "property" ?

An unregistered car is just that, not registered. No state or county
license plates (tags). It can be titled and still unregistered. Of course
no one makes you retitle a car. I have had many Corvair parts cars that I
never transfered the title. Why, they were never going to be registered to
drive again. But, If one wanted to, they could process the title and
register it to drive. That said, thigs get lost in the DMV, so here if one
thinks they may someday register or sell the car again for driving
purposes, one gets the title transferred so there will be fewer paperwork
hassles later when documents get lost. My 1941 Packard falls in this
category. I transferred the NJ title to my name because I knew it would be
a hard paperwork trail ( probably involving someone in NY or LA) to create
a title should I lose the paper NJ title in the prior owners name. I have
yet to register it, as it is still in boxes....

Maybe they want it to be insured just in case you feel like taking it
for an un-authorized joy ride and damage something ?

No insurance required for titling the car, just for registering (license
plates).

I had to put my Corvair on a "non-op" registration here in CA, probably
just so CA can "pad its coffers" and keep track of what cars there are
out there ?

That's what happens in a state that assigns license plates to the car and
not the owner. Here we can go to DMV and swap tags from one car to another.
Just don't do it without going to DMV... ggg  I knew a guy with three 1968
Cougars and one set of plates. The Henrico county police finally caught
him. They watched him for a long time.

I just discovered something from GEICO about insurance rebates when you
do not drive your car ...  see separate email ...

Ah, Geico, the largest employer in the county I live!
But not my insurance company. Explains the explosion of lizzards in my yard.

Frank DuVal