<VV> Corvair Fuel Mileage

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 23:05:55 EDT 2011

A '62 102 is a peaky engine. I bought one new and soon learned that to pass
anything on a 2-lane highway I had to drop to 3rd gear and really stomp on it.

My wife and I now have a '64 110 which is a much easier engine to drive. I leave
it in 4th and loaf by. Part of that is its bigger displacement, but there's also
a difference in camshafts. I have a Spyder dash in the Monza and by the tach I
know that the engine is happy down to 2,000, and less if the car's headed
downhill. It does spin at 2,800 to 3,100 at today's highway speeds, though.

--Tom in Ohio