<VV> 28,000 mile Corsa damage - update.

psergeant paulsgt at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 23:07:04 EDT 2011

Thanks to all who replied.

I got the idea from someone who responded and called my insurance company (Hagerty).  (had to call them anyway to initiate coverage).  I asked them if they had any advice on how to handle the situation of damage by the carrier.  The next person I spoke with was in their claims area.  This is a bit longer story that I will elaborate on later but they have agreed to handle my claim! (Kudos to Hagerty)  They actually could have legitimately got off handling the claim on a technicality which I will explain later.  They will be sending an adjuster out to look at the damage early next week!

To answer a few questions, I spoke with the seller as soon as I discovered the damage and he (thank God) noted that there was no damage to the car when it was picked up.  He will vouch for (testify?) that the car was free of damage (except mold on the seats) when it left his house in Northern MN.  I also have pictures that I took a while back when I originally looked at the car which show the areas in question being in perfect condition.

It was transported on an open trailer (I did not request closed transport to save $$$).  The driver swears it was on the same trailer in the same position (facing forward in the rearmost position on a 3-car trailer) from the time he picked it up till the time he dropped it in Topeka.  (I have a very hard time believing that he brought the same 3 cars from extreme Northern MN to Topeka, KS.  Another odd thing is that I did not receive any paperwork from the driver at all.  (I was not able to be present when the car was dropped off).  (I've never shipped a car before so this has been a learning experience).

I do wonder if there are enough air currents around the back of a car on a trailer to do that kind of damage(?)  The other possibility was that because it overnighted 5-nights (between N. MN and Topeka, KS) someone might have 'fooled' with it while it was on the trailer and possibly opened the deck lid(?)

SO... I will need a couple of replacement parts;
1) A deck lid prop rod.  (I used to have a spare but when moving I decided that one would never need a spare one!)
2) A new air grill (behind the back window on a LM coupe).  I would want one in perfect condition.  Red if possible
3) A set of deck lid hinges (also red if possible)
Please let me know off list if you have these parts you would sell me and cost.  (Extra points if you are in the Kansas City, Lawrence or Topeka, KS area)

Thanks again!

Take care.

Paul Sergeant
65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon
66 Corsa Coupe (140/4, 28,800 orig. miles)

CORSA since 1975
Member - Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, POCI, Little Indians.