<VV> Pulled stud question

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at sprint.blackberry.net
Sat Apr 23 16:37:36 EDT 2011

So, I removed the left head recently, and someone had previously pulled the stud for the #2 cylinder. They repaired it by taking what looks like another larger stud, drilled and tapped it and threaded a length of threaded rod into it. The larger stud also pulled right out on removing the head. One can see the carbon around the cylinder and the head showing a head gasket leak which may have been the reason for taking off the head, or a result of improper installation of the head.

See: http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?p=493

My question, is there a repair for this over-sized, bungled hole in the crankcase? Can one fill it back in and re-drill and tap it? Or do I have to scrap the block?

Thanks!
Karl in Boston
www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog