<VV> Cylinder removal, valve spring compressor

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at sprint.blackberry.net
Sun Apr 24 21:22:31 EDT 2011

Thanks again to all of your thoughtful suggestions about my pulled stud. I don't know if anyone had the chance to look at my latest blog entry, but I had some more questions.

The two most pressing are,

1) how do I pull off the cylinders without damaging them? If they didn't just come right off with the pistons... I don't want to take out my studs (all but the one pulled stud mentioned earlier are securely in place and appear to be in good condition), so I can't rotate the jugs. Being cast iron with protruding fins, I don't want to hammer on them either. Yet, I can't budge them. Jug #1 moved a slight amount, but won't go further ( I haven't forced it, but under a reasonable amount of effort, I can't seem to move it).

2) I tried removing the valves with a valve spring compressor (I have a picture of it in the last blog entry), but I could not budge the compressor, and again, didn't want to use too much force, since I wouldn't think it should take too much force. The device seems to fit the head ok, and the end that goes on the valve spring seems to fit it fine leaving plenty of room in the middle to clear the retainer.

Thanks!
Karl in Boston
www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog.