<VV> Valve compressor

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 07:48:00 EDT 2011

Karl wrote:
 I tried removing the valves with a valve spring compressor (I have a picture of it in the last blog entry), but I could not budge the compressor, and again, didn't want to use too much force, since I wouldn't think it should take too much force. The device seems to fit the head ok, and the end that goes on the valve spring seems to fit it fine leaving plenty of room in the middle to clear the retainer.

I was taught to place the head on a wooden bench, valve heads down and strike the valve springs with a large socket which will seat on the top of and still clear the retainers.
You may have to strike each valve several times. Be prepared to look for the retainers as most times at least one will pop out.
Once you have loosened the retainers you should be able to use the compressor.
Don't be too afraid of using force. Remember the rocker arm hammers pretty hard on the valve stem.
Ed