<VV> Fuel Pump Issues

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 14:15:06 EDT 2011

Yes, well, using those tactics I guess I can pretty well eliminate the fuel system from my list of "usual suspects," at least for the time being.

>I always use a can of carb cleaner, squirt a stream left and right
>back and forth to convince the engine to spin up, if only for a
>couple of seconds or so to get the fuel pump working... otherwise you
>could be 5 minutes cranking on it to get a dry pump to finally begin
>picking up gas from the tank.

I got nothing different except that it nearly stalled out the starter for a few seconds while it dealt with the excess fluid, but that's all. It just kept grinding. It seemed like I was getting no fire from the distrib./coil at all. In fact, I wasn't! I pulled the wire off the coil entirely and it made no difference. I changed coils (Pertronix) and that made no change. I've re-positioned the distrib. according to the instructions in the shop manual at least half a dozen times and am as sure as I know how to be that it's where it belongs; but I've certainly been wrong before. The electronic distrib. & coil are both new. I have 12 volts at the positive side of the coil and the startercertainly seems to be doing its job alright. What's next?

Thanx for your patience and everybody's advice thus far.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert.
Gainesville, FL