<VV> Fuel Pump Issues

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 25 16:24:57 EDT 2011

If you are actually slowing the starter due to LIQUID, you have WAY too
much liquid going into the cylinders. In fact, any liquid is too much, as
it should be vapor by the time it reaches the cylinder, otherwise you do
get hydrostatic lock, which bends rods.

Repositioning the distributor will not make (or conversely not make) a
spark at the plug. i.e. When you crank the engine, it should make a spark
at the plug no matter what the position of the distributor. Those are two
different things. Get the spark working, then reposition the distributor to
get the spark at the plug timed correctly for the piston/valve position.
Now, if the spark happens at the wrong time (relative to valve/piston
position), you get no start or BOOM!

If I were trouble shooting a no spark, I would subtitute a point plate with
good pints and condenser and see if I get my spark back.

You say +12 at + of coil, that's good. Now what is on the - of the coil? It
should vary between 0 and +12 as you crank, typically a voltmeter reads
somewhere in the middle of that as you crank.

If the - terminal stays at +12 or 0, there is the problem, no action from
the "points" wheter electronic or standard.

Is there a rotor in the distributor? That's my usual mistake....  "That's
why it won't start, the rotor is still sitting on the rear frame rail".

Frank DuVal