<VV> YH Needle and Seat

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Apr 28 19:42:49 EDT 2011

Smitty Says;    Established that the float valve was bad on one of Spike's YH carbs.  Tried my local flaps and they couldn't help. (natch).  Went to Napa.  "She who knows all", behind the counter says, for a Rochester or a Holly?  I said, for a Carter.  She says, they didn't use  Carters on Corvairs.  I said it is for a YH Carter carb on a turbo Vair.  She says, what is the 4 digit number on it.  I said it doesn't have a 4 digit number..  She said, they all do and I can't help you if you don't have it.  So I came home and went out in the spares box in the rain and dug out a YH carb.  Took it down to Napa and "she who knows all", examined it closely.  I couldn't resist.  I said, is it a Holly or is it a Rochester?  She read the name Carter on the carb and gave me a dirty look.  None of the numbers on it jibed with the book.  I said, here, I took this mod tag off of one of the carbs on the car, will it help?  She took it and looked in the book.  She says, the book says that number group is for Carter Carbs.  Then she realizes what she has said.  So she looks the number up under Carter and finds they have one needle and seat set in Northern VA.  That will be $5.90 and $8 to get it transfered down here.  We can have it day after tomorrow.  So I came home and ordered it from Clarks.  The only reason for messing with the Flaps in the first place was to get the car on the road today if possible.  Life as a Corvair owner is hard.
Since my bad luck with using a # 10 wire to clear the idle circuit on the other carb, I decided to find a smaller one that fit the hole on this YH.  That worked much better.  Didn't even have to beat it in with a hammer.