<VV> Corvair Plane Crashall - obviously it's the Corvair design !!!!!

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:45:25 EDT 2011

When I said fuel related, I wasn't really pointing to auto fuel or
avgas, both work well in this carb. I'd bet something else went wrong,
a plugged jet, not rigged properly, etc. For example on the aircraft I
investigated, the mixture control housing was anchored to the
firewall, so any time the engine torqued under power (the engine would
rotate a bit radially in the opposite direction of the propeller
swing), it would change the mixture to lean. The mixture control
should have been anchored to the carb housing. However, this was not
what got that guy, it was when he put the carb together. The mixture
control shaft was indexed wrong (and was a old worn out part he was
trying to save money with) and moved when the engine torqued over on
takeoff and went lean. Things get expodentially complex when you think
about using parts on aircraft. There are no "cloud runways" to stop
off on.  Mark Durham