<VV> Vacuum advance - adjust

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 15:33:46 EDT 2011

Matt, correct me if Im not thinking this through correctly. The vacuum advance actually advanced the timeing just off idle before the mechanicals kick in then returns home when the vacuum lowers. This is what I think im expriencing when I get a better low speed with the timeing backed off a little, It runs better with it a little more advance at mid and higher rpm still with no spark knock and cranks good. So if I shortened up the length of the caseing that would give me the same effect as retarding the timeing. Right? Just want to make sure before I alter a working vacuum advance.
 Pete

Adjusting to a higher vacuum signal to activate does NOT  retard timing per se..

It just slows down the advance curve...

 You are fine since you do not get any pinging....  you do NOT  need to adjust it...

As springs age.. they get weaker....  and people experience pinging at part throttle...

 That's when you adjust the VA.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/