<VV> Old timer timing

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 20:19:33 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "PETER INMAN" < monza1965 at yahoo.com >
Subject: <VV> Mechanical advance

Today an old Corvair guy, (85) visited me and helped me figure out what my
problem was on my 61 Rampside. It just wasnt running strong at above
midrange speeds. I tried everything and couldnt solve the problem. What I
love about the older guys is they just lean over and listen, think for a few
minutes and make a wild guess at whats ailing and seems like every time get
it right. After some thought he said its in the ignition. Didnt hardly think
so because everything was new and set to the best of my ability. I`ve been
weeks working at this. Well out came the distributer, totally disasembled
every part and put the touch on the mechanical advance parts. He said the
counter weights wernt working properly and when its all togher we should see
an improvement. An hour later went for a spin and couldnt believe how much
power that 80 HP has. He said he knows that the 80 will top out good because
his 60 had no problem going over 80MPH and what fun it is hearing
stories from guys way ahead of their time talk about how much they loved
their Corvairs. A couple times I have gone to him for help and he gets it
every time.
This story is to give praise to all the old timers and thank you all for the
things learned over time and the wisdom that comes with age. I hope someday
to be able to help others with Corvair problems. I know things that I learn
from my piers I will never forget. Lessons well learned.
Still stumbles a little at no throtle in high gear around town. Any ideas?

Pete Inman
61 Rampside 80

With all due respect to you and your old timer, I suspect an extra minute spent with a timing light attached would likely have shown the centrifugal advance was misbehaving.

In the 1965 Shop manual the Engine Tune up section ( 6-0 thru 6-9) the step immediately after setting the basic ignition timing (with a light) i s "Check operation of centrifugal advance mechanism by accelerating engine and watchng clockwise (advance) movement of timing mark." But before setting the ignition timing the dwell was checked, with the requirement that it be steady and in specification at a few engine speeds. In that same Tune up section even before the "instrument check-out," and before the points were being replaced and set with a feeler gage, the centrifugal and vacuum advance were to receive a few test twists to confirm freedom of movement, and a consistent return to their home positions.

I'm not saying every tech at every Chevy dealer did tune-ups following every step, but those factory procedures were crafted to lead a tech through the steps required to do a good, thorough, job in a reasonably efficient sequence.

Some procedures even begin with instructions to "Examine xxxx and clean or replace if necessary." Those were very different times.

Dan T