<VV> Tire testing

Bob Dunahugh yenko108 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 7 10:17:06 EDT 2011

The tire testing was done in Taxes at Goodyear's 5 mile oval track for Ford. Ford of Australia wanted Goodyear to develop some 13 inch tires that could run 130 to 140 MPH. Ford didn't have a car with 13 inch tires that could run in that speed range. So Goodyear went to Yenko Chevrolet to build a Corvair that could do this development testing. A 24 gal gas tank was added so it could have a total of 36 gal capacity.  Thus two fuel pumps were needed. Both pumps are still there and one is still used. Ford ended up paying a little over $5000.00 for the car. I have the documentation about this. After that task was complete. The car went on to test studded snow tires and radials until 1976. Total testing miles was 2,216. All 4 wheel wells had quarter inch steel plate bolted in place to protect the car and driver. Skid plates were welded to the suspension on all four corners to help the driver with handling when tires came apart at high speed. According to Goodyear, it was the only car that was custom build from the factory to test tires. All other cars were just ordered from a new car dealer, or dealer stock. At the Corsa Convention in 2010, it was entered in concours after 9 years of track event. It earned a score of 97.6, thus senior level. It is now in the Chevrolet Hall of Fame ( along with Warren LeVeque's Doug Roe car  ), until next summer when it will be transported to Pittsburg Ohio for an appearance at the Pittsburg Grand Prix as a feature car. The Corsa 2010 convention will be it's last Corsa Convention to attend. I have 3 museums that want to display it and my other COPO Stingers. Plus, I want to keep taking it to track events. Ed Cunneen and I started up a web site, yenkostinger.org. We have a lot more history and video to add this winter. We also want to add cars like Rick Norris's. I think you'll find it interesting. We wanted to do the web site and museum displays with Corsa, but the board wasn't interested in the expositor.    Bob Dunahugh