<VV> Transvair installation

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 10:24:56 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/10/2011 5:36:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com writes:

Is  anybody familiar enough with this swap to answer some questions?

Does  the bellhousing top lifting 'eye' need to be removed?
Does the engine  *have* to have a remote oil filter?

Thanks, Andy  K.

Andy - I did one of these on a 1968 VW Wesphalia Camper in 1975. As I
recall, I made no change to the bellhousing. You do have to remote the oil
filter, because it sticks out the back far enough to keep the engine door from
closing. It wasn't hard to do. On mine, I just hacksawed off the oil
adapter, a  little bit off of the bolted down portion of the casting, leaving some
meat. I tapped the two holes in the casting to a 1/4" NPT thread, with a
slight  "spread" apart, and installed two 3 inch long 1/4" NPT nipples. Those
are short  tubes with the 1/4"NPT at both ends, and at least the original
Inside  diameter. The hoses just slid down the tubes and were hose-clamped on.
 Pretty crude, but it worked and never leaked. I used an aftermarket remote
oil  filter housing mounted up over the left wheelwell and fed the lines up
to it. I  used Parker Push-lok hose ends. Push-lok hose ends use a small
yellow Nylon  stepped washer to keep the hose end from fraying and spreading
out. The hose  just slips on, no clamp is needed.
The first trip I took with this combo - It was a 110HP P/G - was to the
1975 Corsa Convention in Seattle. We drove up Interstate 5 through Redding,
CA  (115 degrees) staying the first night in Medford, OR. I checked the oil
in Medford and added a quart. I looked at the filter installation and
noticed  that the Nylon washers were gone. About six inches below them, two little
 puddles of yellow had hardened up. That Nylon melts at about 325 degrees
or so -  I wonder how hot my oil got during those climbs on Interstate 5.
Ouch!

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA