<VV> Life is a Banquet - don't starve

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 01:45:53 EDT 2011

Okay - I, too, am sorry that Carl suffered the whims of a Denver door
keeper that was told to check for tickets. He has received apologies, and
offers. I am not sure where this turned into bash the Corsa Board or officers.
As Bob D's repeated complaints illustrate, the Corsa Board has very little to
do  with how the banquet is conducted. The 2010 banquet was a good example.
The  awards were a disorganized mess. Example -The 2010 local autocross
chair  was a nice guy, but "didn't do banquets" and no real results listing was
 available at the banquet. The slides taken at the autocross were placed in
 order of the trophies to be awarded, and displayed to everyone - as they
were awarded, with no times or car types available. As the fill-in
announcer, I had to do some guessing when the car pictures came up. Denver,  on the
other hand, was very well organized with all the needed info  available to
the announcers for each event. I was impressed.

I will air one complaint I have about the awards. A few years ago, with the
 goal of saving time, a decision was made to bring all of the competitors
in an  event up front, hand out awards to each of the winners, thank all the
remaining folks (losers?) still standing there, and send everyone back to
their seats. It did save the time of each winner strolling up from the back
corner of the banquet hall to receive their award. But it made a bunch of
folks  feel awkward going up front to, what, applaud? Anyway, we were told
that this  year, each chairmen/announcer would call out the names of all award
 winners, everyone would come up as a group and each would receive their
award. It was the first time for this, and, except for a few award winners
who didn't attend the banquet, it worked "okay". Rally winners came up and
got their awards, Econorun winners came up and got their awards, Model car
display winners came up and got their awards, Autocross winners came up and
got  their awards. And then, each Concours participant was called out, by
name,  individually, to wend their way up to the front and pick up their
award, one at a time. Say, what? Since, it seemed to me, every one who  entered a
car in the Concours received some award, it would be the perfect group  to
bring up, en mass, and hand out the Bronze, Silver and Gold  ribbons,
building up to the Senior class awards, announcing scores as  the awards were
presented. Over the years, I have sat through my share of  midnight-plus
banquets so I understand the goal of a reasonable time constraint.  But I think a
more even-handed approach would be appreciated. I have  already communicated
this to the appropriate Corsa folks.

I had fun in Iowa, I had fun in Denver, I will have fun in Sturbridge next
year! You can too!

-Seth Emerson