<VV> convention banquet table assignments

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 11:22:44 EDT 2011

I've never understood why the registration form for a convention doesn't
include one of three boxes you can check off if you're going to the  banquet:

1.  I wish to be seated with fellow members of my local club.

2.  I wish to be seated with members of this other local club:
(fill-in-the-blank)

3.  I will accept a random table assignment.

It seems that this would lessen the amount of work the hosting club has to
do during the busy time that the convention is actually in progress.  That
"but-we've-always-done-it-this-way" banquet ticket exchange that takes
place at  some designated time when the convention is in progress has always
seemed to me  like the stupidest thing imaginable.  I usually don't learn about
the  ticket exchange until after the fact and therefore end up accepting a
random  table assignment anyway.  I've always found the strangers stuck with
 hosting me to be politely welcoming so it works out but I prefer sitting
with my  fellow local club members.  When I'm with my club members, if things
get  boring from the dais, we can grouse among ourselves about high
property taxes  and toll increases!

~Bill Stanley
New Jersey (where else?)