<VV> Engine lower on left side

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Aug 11 12:28:21 EDT 2011

Smitty Says;  Les It is the nature of the beast.  The rear engine mount is
not in the center of the engine weight.  I have no idea why.  I have been
told that it is because the engine is offset to compensate for the ring gear
being off center.  Whatever.  To me it is a GM engineering screw up.  For a
Late model it is an appearance thing.  For an Early it is a rear wheel
geometry thing.  I too have fought the issue over the years with new mounts,
modifying mounts, and modifying the tranny support.  The easiest I have come
up with is to slot the tranny support holes and then use star washers under
the bolt heads so they can't slip.  Not the best answer of course as you are
now asking the bolt heads to support the power train rather than the
"holes".  I suppose best of all would be to slot the holes.  Put it
togetther and find the "happy place" that holds the engine level.  Weld up
the holes where needed and make new holes to fit.