<VV> Corvair trim differences

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Aug 16 07:35:06 EDT 2011

>Subject: <VV> Corvair trim differences
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> >     I was talking Corvairs with a friend tonight when I suddenly realized
> > that I don't know what Corvair models (early) had the bright trim around
> > the
> > belt line that went all the way down the side of the car.  I did know that
> > the trim that ends halfway down denotes that the car is a
> 700...but I  never
> > took note of which cars had the trim that didn't end halfway.
> >
> >     I looked through my literature..... and couldn't quite nail it down
> > for
> > sure but here is what I came up with:
> >
> > 60-61 700 series has full length belt trim
> > 62-63 700 series has half length belt trim
> > 64' the only 700 was the sedan and it looks like it had no belt trim??

1964 700s had belt trim.   What's more, it was a different belt trim
that had a channel in it particular to '64 only.  64 700 belt trim
also started at the front fenders and did not wrap around the front deck lid.

> > 500's and Monza's don't appear to have ever had belt trim... is this true?

Yep.  Well, except for the '62 Monza wagon...

> > So ALL Corvairs with beltline trim are 700 series?

Yep.  Well, except the '62 Monza wagon...

> > What about Wagons, same rules apply or different?

500 wagons, no belt trim.  700 wagons, full belt trim in '61 and half
belt trim in '62 for the 900 wagons.   No 700 wagons in 62.

>Same rules always apply
> > to 2 vs 4 door cars as well?

Pretty much, except for the length of the belt trim.   2 door 700s
had half-trim like the '62 900 Monza wagons until '62 (and 63) which
included the 4 door 700 sedans as well.  64 belt trim was its own.

...I think I got it all correct and will happily accept corrections
if I blundered.

tony..