<VV> Corvair trim differences

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 02:10:06 EDT 2011

Hi Ray,

First, you will likely get a fairly definitive answer from Lonzo.  It has
been my experience that he knows his STUFF on this type of question.

Second, my only EM is a truck so my current information is probably no
better than yours.

Third, in late '59 there was a somewhat prolonged steel strike and that had
an effect (at least on Pontiac and likely other GM products) on how much
steel - including "chrome" that went into the post strike cars.  So (I don't
know) it is possible that the effect on Corvair may have included a
shortening of the belt trim length on some (all?) models.

Fourth, take a pictorial trip through "Corvair Decade" to see if that helps
you with which model got what trim.

Finally, for me - the nosebar and the interior trim are my best clues as to
model year on the EMs.  The tail light treatment is different as well, but
I've not yet learned them all.

Finally - twice....  I was once a LM guy, but I've since learned to love
them all.

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110