<VV> Corvair trim differences

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:00:36 EDT 2011

Excellent, I started off hating the half belt trim but it has grown on me at
least with certain colors.

> I looked all over through everything and couldn't find a photo of a '61 700
> 2-door...

Pg. 26 of "Chevrolet Corvair Photo History" (I have an extra copy if you
don't have it) has a full page black and white print of an apparent ad photo
featuring a 61' 700 coupe with full belt trim.  It's a beautiful car and
picture too, appears to be a white car in a snowy environment (though hard
to say in black and white hehe).

> Now:
>
> It was early morning when I posted my comments about the belt trim...
> coffee hadn't kicked in yet.   Seems there were 2-door 700s in '60 and '61
> with full belt trim although I've also seen '60 and '61 700s with half belt
> trim, which makes things even more confusing.
>
> My station wagon comments were also flawed... I said there was no '62 700
> wagon which is wrong...  hell, a buddy and local chapter member has one.   I
> had to step around it to get into his garage yesterday evening, 12 hours
> before I posted an e-mail to the list saying there weren't any.  Go
> figger...  dementia must be setting in or something.

Aye, according to the production figures in the same book it was the 500
Wagon that didn't exist in 62.  61 was 500 or 700, 62 was 700 or 900.

Also interesting, on pg 28 there is a picture that is listed as a 61' 500
wagon and it has belt trim though I can't tell if it is full or half.  Pg 30
shows a 61 700 wagon that also has belt trim, again can't tell which style
in the photo.  Pg. 36 shows a 62 700 wagon with half belt trim.

Another interesting note though it doesn't really pertain to this
conversation very much...  on Pg. 46 of "Corvair by Chevrolet: experimental
and production cars 1959-1969" there is a photo of a 1960 Lakewood
prototype!  It is complete with the 1960 concave nose and full belt trim, as
well as completely different engine room vents then the production wagons.
I bet that 1960 Lakewood would get the Caveman excited!

Also, are there any 1965' Spyder badged cars known to exist?  If so is the
Spyder name on only the air cleaner housing or was there actually a Spyder
badge on the fender dogleg?  That'd be a car to have!

Thanks for all the great pics and info!

Ray R.