<VV> compression test vs Cylinder leakdown test?

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 21:07:42 EDT 2011

Original message
----- Original Message -----
Date: August 14, 2011 4:40:58 PM EDT
> To: John Gull < vairdude at gmail.com >
> Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
> Subject: Re: <VV> Compression test vs Cylinder leakdown test?
>
> John, a cylinder leak down test is a way to see how much air leaks out
> of a cylinder, versus how much you put in. I'm an aircraft mechanic by
> trade, and this is how we test compression on aircraft engines. You
> put the cylinder to test at top dead center compression stroke, add 80
> psi air pressure thru the spark plug hole, and move the prop back and
> forth to get the best reading. Anything over 60 psi (above 75%) is OK
> but must be consistent between all cylinders, within a few pounds. As
> an engine ages, its compression may drop but should stay in a 5 to 10
> pound range. We use that check because it is dangerous to have
> propellers swinging around.

For a thorough "leak down" (differential compression) test the pressurized air needs to be fed thru an orifice ( 0.040" diameter for engines under 1000 cubic inches ) and the pressure needs to be read on both sides of the orifice.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7700&d=1144805048
Setting the inlet pressure at 100 psi means the engine side pressure is reveals the "percent leak down" directly ( 80 psi = 20% leakdown)

I'm thinking even at a fairly functional sort of healthy 10% there may be audible leakage past the rings, and without the gage reading

A compression test did not identify terminally sludged up oil rings on a good running but smokey Chevy 6. I don't know if a LD tester would either.

Dan T