<VV> compression test vs Cylinder leak-down test?

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Aug 19 08:40:21 EDT 2011

Neither a compression test nor a leak-down test will point a finger directly at a problem most of the time.  Both give only clues as to what to think about.

Because a compression test looks at each cylinder on an individual basis, problems which affect only one cylinder such as a bent or burned valve or holed piston will show up more clearly.  But this test requires the cranking system to be in good condition.   So, is it the valve or the piston?  A vacuum gauge may add some food for thought here if the engine will run.  One is never sure if uniform low static compression is a ring problem, cam timing issue,  or just a characteristic of that engine.

A leak-down test does not require cranking the engine but it can be a pain to get each cylinder to top dead center and to keep it there.  It is kind of a noisy operation so listening for leaks is kind of limited to getting your ear close to the tailpipe.  You will hear a burned or bent exhaust valve but bent intake valves don't show up to well.

Stuck rings are a different problem.  Because both the tests give results for one cylinder at a time, we tend to look at the differential between cylinders. Stuck rings can be the same for all the cylinders, so will worn or broken rings and probably bent intake valves.  The leak-down will be affected so it may start one to thinking about stuck or worn rings.  And it does remove cam timing issues from the thought process but not the bent valve issue.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.