<VV> Advise on PCV needed

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Aug 20 13:22:09 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/20/2011 8:06:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

I am  working on a 1965 Corsa with a 140HP, 4-speed engine and discovered
that a PO  has removed the stock vent pipe from the top cover to the shroud
and replaced  it with a early "road tube". I am wondering if there is any
mechanical  disadvantage to this. I have the parts to put it back to stock to
feed to the  air cleaner and balance tube (with PCV orifice). I don't see how
it might  affect engine performance, but would like some advice, to be
sure.
Thanks,
Grant

Grant - In general, there is no effect on engine performance. In theory,
you would be better able to control the mixture quality on the intake charge
if  you didn't have the "unknown" of the crankcase mixture added in. But
that is a  theoretical-only advantage, since the Corvair carbs are not that
calibrated  anyway. I would make sure that the orifice hole is the correct size
- checking  another 140 is the simplest way, and returning the systems to
stock. Even though  I am not in Florida, I don't want to breathe those
un-burned Hydrocarbons. Give  them another shot at being productive members of
your automotive team, and send  them back into the chamber.

-Seth