<VV> '64 FC Engine identification

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 20 20:04:57 EDT 2011

I picked up a complete 1964 FC drivetrain from what I believe is an early '64 Greenbrier. The vin is 4R126S100900. The diff. # is HS 07 27. Engine #T0913W. The van was an automatic. The things I find unusual is the engine has a 12 plate oil cooler but no side covers. The engine has a harmonic balancer BUT has the early rear engine bracket (How did they change the fan belt as needed)? There are no belt guides on either the idler pulley or on the top shroud. The top shroud is set up for the 12 plate cooler but has no provision for the belt guide. It does have the '64 mag fan.
I removed the crankcase cover and the crank number is 8409. The engine looks pretty original and I don't believe it had ever been removed from this van as all the bolts are in place, all the side rubbers are in place and in good condition, the odometer shows 78,000 miles, and the van had not been registered since 1974 (as per the tag on the licence plate). So I guess my questions are:
1. How can 1 ensure they have a 164 inch engine without removing the crankcase cover?
2. Were the belt guides installed sometime during the model year?
3. Were the cooler side covers originally on the '64 FC (or were they added later for A/C, smog, or turbos?
4. Did the factory not realize the issue with the rear engine bracket for engines with harmonic balancers?
Thanks for any help with my curiosity.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301