<VV> '64 FC Engine identification

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Aug 21 14:46:49 EDT 2011

My answers (guesses maybe) inline:

On Aug 20, 2011, at 8:04 PM, shortle wrote:

> 1. How can 1 ensure they have a 164 inch engine without removing the crankcase cover?

Umm, take a head off and measure the stroke?  Ok, dumb answers too in this post I guess :-)  I can't think of a way to positively identify a long stroke crank externally.

> 2. Were the belt guides installed sometime during the model year?

Not sure on this one, but it could be they were using up parts, the FC top shroud being different, so the changeover could easily be different from the cars.

> 3. Were the cooler side covers originally on the '64 FC (or were they added later for A/C, smog, or turbos?

I'm pretty sure those were an addition to the smog engines initially.

> 4. Did the factory not realize the issue with the rear engine bracket for engines with harmonic balancers?

There was a different rear bracket for the '64/'65 FCs.  Might have been a running change as well, but that one does seem odd.

--Bryan