<VV> CPF Goes to the Drag Racing Museum!

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sat Aug 20 21:39:01 EDT 2011

That's right! Your Corvair Preservation Foundation has
just completed an arrangement with none other than Don
"Big Daddy" Garlits, the #1 Drag Racer of all time to
display a Corvair engine at his Museum of Drag Racing in
Ocala, Florida.

For those of you who don't recognize the name, Don Garlits
has been around the drag racing scene for a very long
time. He has won countless championships during his
driving career. Now he resides in Ocala and has a really
nice collection of racers, antiques and even a couple of
Corvairs!

When I was on my way to St. Pete last month (Corvair run)
I stopped by to check out Don's cars and parts and stuff.
He had an "engine room" and there was a air-cooled VW
engine on display. So he needs a Corvair engine, right? So
at the recent Back to the Bricks event in Flint, MI I had
the chance to talk with Don Garlits and arrange the loan
of CPF's Fuel Injected Corvair prototype engine. It is
currently in his trailer along with the Swamp Rat 12A
front engine dragster and heading back to Florida. Don was
very excited about the loan and will put it in a prominent
location.

So if you are anywhere near Ocala (exit 341 off I-75) you
should stop and check out the museum. It is worth your
time. Admission is $15. Make sure you let them know you
are with the Corvair club!! - Pete K