<VV> Tailgate Height (was: loadside trucks)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Aug 22 22:42:02 EDT 2011

At 09:49 PM 8/22/2011, J R Read wrote:

>They DO have a tailgate - just awfully high above the ground.

The height of the tailgate is a long-standing complaint about the
Corvair pickups, and one of the reasons that when new they did not
sell as well as they might.

But today, it's hooey.  Why?  Because all modern trucks have
tailgates that are much higher off the ground!  The tailgate on my
Rampside is closer to the ground than the tailgate on my 2004 GMC
Sierra 1500, and the GMC is one of the "lower" of the late-model
trucks.  Take a look at the new trucks from GM, Ford, and Dodge
(whose dumb idea was it to rebrand them "Ram?")  They ALL have
tailgates much higher off the ground than a Corvair pickup, and
bedsides far more difficult to reach over than the side of a Loadside.