<VV> Ignition Wiring Question

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:18:07 EDT 2011

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Bill H." <gojoe283 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: <VV> Ignition Wiring Question
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> B"H
>
> This may be a dumb question but I'm confused. I thought voltage at the coil from the starter is supposed to be 12V, then it is stepped down to around 6-8V which is accomplished by the "resistor wire."
>
> Some previous owner of my '66 Monza wired the coil directly to the yellow wire of the 2-wire connector coming from the wiring harness (not the main one though), and wired the resistor wire to the same 2-wire connector.
>
> So now the coil shows 12V when the engine is running. The car has standard points ignition.
>
> Is this a problem? The car has a "dead spot" in the accelerator that I am trying to track down, which causes a stall condition when the engine is cold when you step on the gas going up a hill.
>
> I am wondering if I should move the resitor wire to the coil, and retain the 20 B/Y wire there, which I assume comes from the starter only when it (the starter) is engaged. This would mean two wires at the (+) terminal of the coil, the 20B/Y and the resistor wire.
>
> Any adivce would be helpful. The 66 is a new acqisition and I am still trying to sort out some of the glitches.
>
> Thanks everyone!...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C
> 69 Monza Coupe 110 PG about to be scrapped from a rear end collision

 Bill- The dropping resistor is there to save the points, and yes, it is a problem to run the car that way, as the points will have a very short life!. If you are commited to running points, put the resistor wire back in, if you were thinking about converting over to electronic ignition, then leave the resistance wire out. The dead spot sounds
like a fuel/carburetor problem, unrelated to the wiring.
Kevin Nash