<VV> regulator messing up

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 20:49:58 EDT 2011

Okay, a public post to VV --

>I used fine grit 220 sandpaper on the contact and blew their out with air.

This is actually a no-no (in my book) -- sandpaper -- you file points,
with a points file. The reason is so that you don't leave a piece of
carborundum or silicone grit stuck in the points.  Then you need to give
them a blast of aerosol solvent followed by air to clean any loose
debris (filing chafe).  Same for points in the distributor, but I like
to take them out and file them in a vise, IF I am going to file them,
(which is no longer a recommended procedure, since they have been
changed from the old days when filing points was what got you home).

BUT, I digress.  You said, "I was having trouble with [the regulator]
when I put a new alternator in ..."  Since I am not there and this is
not my car, it is (or at least was) SOP to replace a stand alone
regulator when you replace an alternator. Especially one that was giving
you trouble to start with.  One of the reasons they developed the
internally regulated alternator -- replacement alternators comes with a
new regulator, automatically.

And, are you testing it with the regulator bolted down (grounded) and
cover in place (temp sensitive)?

Maybe you just need to replace it?  Start by testing *all* your
connections (including grounds) with an ohm meter, battery
disconnected.  Then, maybe graduate to a volt meter with the car running
to figure out what is happening, or not.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland