<VV> [SCG] LM ENGINE SEAL STAPLES

Jerry Brown air_cooled63 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 14:55:07 EST 2011

Yes you can see the ends of the staples barely sticking thru the metal strips. Not all Vairs had this done.  I think it was done to ease assembly of the rubber seal.  The seal is installed backward with the split in the front by the bell housing.  All others have had the split in the rear near the rear motor mount. I assume a few workers did this on their own, as the early corvair seals were stapled on and the tool and staples were still avaible.  I didn't know they were there til I removed the engine for some clutch maint.  While I had the engine out I detailed the engine bay, cleaning and painting.  This 66 4 door was assembled in the 4th week in Dec of 65, making it an early 66.  This was the same week of Christmas, so you can tell these guys were wanting to get off for Christmas.  This is a rare 4 door 500 with factory air, 140 engine, with a 4speed standard.  I think it was a special order car.   I don't have a working camera right
 now, but will get my daughter to come over and take some asap..    I will check a 65 I brought from CA years ago and see if it has staples.

Merry Christmas.

Jerry Brown
CORSA Eastern Director
Manning SC