<VV> Tires from the EU

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Mon Dec 12 16:40:55 EST 2011

Since I did the trailer tires post, I felt the need to correct it.
Appropriate size tires (tyres) are still available in the EU if you are
willing to look at the tire specs instead of the absolute tire size.
After all, 185/80R13 wasn't around when the Vairs were new either.

Brands to look at include Vredestein and Michelin though there are quite
a few other vendors that still sell 13 inch in the EU, not just in
skinny sizes either.

205/70R13 is a common but pricey Michelin EU size. Vredestein has
something very close to the old 7.00-13 (640/700R13), slightly
larger/narrower than 185/80 that is probably the best match.

I know everyone is familiar with Coker and probably Diamond Back Tires
(dbtires.com). DB either carries or can get the Vredestein 13 inch
tires. Of course both vendors carry the 185/80R13 whitewalls that were
mentioned and noted as not first choice.

http://www.classictyres.com/

The UK link above has them all, and they will ship to the US. None of
this is cheap, but the days of cheap 13 inch tires is over given small
manufacturing runs due to low demand, except for some rare jackpot deal
that someone might run across once in a while.

Much of the above info came from a vintage Lotus contact in Sweden. I'm
used to having to go all over the world to find parts and info these days.

For the 66 I have deserted to 15-inch aluminum wheels with BFG gForce
Sports. Maybe that size will be around for a little while.

Mark N