<VV> push rod tube seals replaced, four still leaking

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:41:27 EST 2011

Hello all,

     When I swapped my 62 84hp engine into my 63 car a few weeks back I did
my best to reseal the (62) engine before I buttoned everything up.  The
pushrod tubes seemed to not fit as tightly as others that I've done in the
past, they pulled out and went back in very easily, I probably could have
done it without using any tool at all (I use vicegrips carefully).

     After a couple days of use the engine started showing signs of oil
leaks again.  It turned out the major oil leak was a Clark's oil filter not
sealing properly (again), but I've also noticed that two pushrod tubes on
each side are wet with oil.  I have found that I can actually move the
pushrod tubes in and out a little bit, and one feels so loose at the head
end that you'd think there was no seal on it at all (can jiggle it back and
forth).

     Are the pushrod tubes supposed to actually supposed to be sandwiched
tightly between the head and block or not?  I thought the rocker gizmo's
pressed tightly up against them but I can actually move these inboard or
outboard maybe 1/16th of an inch and they don't self center when I release
them.

     Any help would be appreciated!

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III