<VV> Oil for new engine

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Tue Dec 13 15:47:02 EST 2011

At 12:00 12/13/2011 -0500, Patrick Murphy wrote:

>I can't remember where I read about oil for newly rebuilt engines. Might
>have been here or in a newsletter. It talked about the wrong oil causing
>crank failure.

For break-in of a new engine a low ZDDP oil (typical API SM, SN) may not
provide enough wear resistance for the camshaft/lifter interface.  This is
not such an issue with regard to the crankshaft.

>  Can anyone tell me what oil to use in my engine as someone
>else rebuilt it before I got it and I don't know what's inside it.

For a brand new engine I would recommend using one of the specific high
ZDDP break-in oils now offered by the specialty oil manufacturers: e.g.
Amsoil, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Royal Purple, etc.  Alternatively, you could
add a product such as ZDDP Plus to a standard petroleum oil.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI