<VV> oil capacity

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Wed Dec 14 09:14:21 EST 2011

I'd just fill it to the Full line on your dipstick. From an empty
crankcase, this will tell you how much oil fills it.

You could maintain an oil level below the Full line if you wished.
This would help keep oil out of the push rod tubes. A better way to do
this is with a baffle.

Let's say a full crankcase is 7 quarts. You could put in 6 which
should bring you to the 1-qt low line on the dip stick. But 6 quarts
is plenty of oil to avoid overheating. As long as the oil level is
high enough so that the pump never starves, you should be okay. I
would be a bit nervous that way, but you may not. I hope you dropped
the pick up when you installed the deep pan.

How are your valve guides? That could also be your source of oil
getting into the chambers.

On Dec 14, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Stephen Till wrote:

> I have a 66 with a 140 engine. It has a aluminum deep sump oil pan.
> Can anyone
> tell me what the max oil capacity would be? I believe I have 2
> problems but not
> sure. When the engine comes up to temp the left bank is burning oil
> out of the
> exhaust. Either I have to much oil in the engine and is splashing
> into a bore on
> the left bank or I have a oil control ring problem also. May have a
> low
> cylinder? Any thoughts?
>  Thank you-Stephen Till

Bruce