<VV> FW: How often do you change your oil?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Dec 17 12:02:06 EST 2011

At 11:50 AM 12/17/2011, Dave Keillor wrote:
>The old Chevy stovebolt circa 1953 used cast iron pistons (and splash
>oiling).  They went to aluminum pistons and pressure oiling in 1954
>IIRC.

I recall some of the Ford flatheads also still using iron pistons
before the engine was dropped.

...wonder how many of THEM are still on the roads?   Hell, those
engines didn't even have oil filters, not unlike many
stovebolts.  And later variants used a shunt filter.    Those 3k oil
changes were pretty much necessary then, sure.  But still... unless
you're running an exotic oil and it's in a recent engine, 10k is just
out of line.   In an older engine, it's plain stupid.

Those guys do not know what the Hell they're talking about, unless
there's an agenda afoot somehow.   I tend to go with no agenda, just
plain ignorance and spin, and some stats buffoon needing to justify
his employment and likely overblown paycheck.

tony..