<VV> Iron pistons and oil changes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 17:27:55 EST 2011

The old Chevy stovebolt circa 1953 used cast iron pistons (and  splash
oiling).  They went to aluminum pistons and pressure oiling in  1954
IIRC. - Dave Keillor

1954 PONTIAC Straight 8 still had Cast Iron pistons. Some GMC diesels  did
until the later 50's. Cosworth Vega engines had Iron plated  pistons!

Oil changes

 - On my newer vehicles, I watch the "recommended % left" on the  computer
and change at about 15% left. And that can mean over 10K miles  between
changes in some cases. That has, however changed my oil level checking  habits.
I now check oil in all of my cars at a regular interval. I usually  pick a
monthly date and check all at once. (Well, one after the other) That  is
because the cars will use some oil between changes, and I keep a few quarts -
different vehicles, different oils - handy for top ups. Before computers, I
usually went to 5K for regular cars.

On my Corvairs, I hate to admit it but I do not change them on a  regular
basis. That is because my mileage is so small, on my one street Corvair,  and
the engine is being worked on - regularly - on the race car, so that  the
oil is being "changed" on a semi-regular basis anyway!

Seth Emerson