<VV> Your oil change needs

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 17:50:41 EST 2011

_tony.underwood at cox.net_ (mailto:tony.underwood at cox.net)   writes:

Those  guys do not know what the Hell they're talking about, unless
there's an  agenda afoot somehow.   I tend to go with no agenda, just
plain  ignorance and spin, and some stats buffoon needing to justify
his  employment and likely overblown paycheck. tony..

Before we beat on the bureaucrats too much, let's examine the facts.  Most
cars on the road now are newer cars, not our 60's vintage. What the guy is
trying to do is over come the 3000-mile hype that the "Jiffy Lubers" have
been  putting out and get people to check their owners manuals, and act
accordingly. There is an old hot-rodder's motto: "If some is good, more is
better and too-much is just right!" Well, it didn't apply to camshafts or carbs,
and is doesn't apply to oil changes. If you drive a Corvair as a regular
car,  and put on thousands of miles a year, you would treat it to regular
changes  based on the manufacturers recommendations, perhaps extended a bit with
better  oil. (or toilet-paper filters?)

 The bureaucrats are trying to get the owner of the 2007 VW  or 2009 Malibu
to not drop perfectly good oil out and replace it with a  "finite-resource"
item.  Of course, one could point out that the "Oil  changer" merchants are
not really lying about changing the oil more often. New  oil is almost
always a good thing. But what is the possibility that the  minimum-wage goofball
will screw up the threads on your oil pan drain plug, or  do some other bad
thing. That possibility exists as well. And remember, they are  draining
your wallet along with your oil.

And for reference, California has had an oil re-cycling program for many
years.

Seth Emerson