<VV> larry claypool weighs in; Was: '63 Spyder air cleaner housing

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Mon Dec 19 11:32:07 EST 2011

I received the following from larry claypool in response to my forwarded
query re:  the '63 Spyder air cleaner housing (black vs. chrome)  thread.

~Bill Stanley

<Hi  bill
you  can forward this vv.
When  trying answer questions on what is correct for a given year, use the
resources  already available for research, namely period parts books book
and assembly  manuals.
In  my parts book dated oct. 1, 1963, and revised jan. 1, 1964,
The  62-63 air cleaner unit is part # 6418069. This would have the
crankcase vent  tube nipple, and would be considered the service part for both 62 &
63.
The  1964 spyder air cleaner is #6419148.
The  assembly manual for 1962 indicates spyder air cleaner as 5648783. This
would be  black one with no crankcase vent tube provision.
Assembly  manual for 63 indicates air cleaner is a 6418069, no revisions.
This would also  be black, but with the vent hose nipple The crankcase
ventilation sheet in the  63 book has a release date of 7/20/62, so that’s pretty
much just in time for  1963 assemblies.
Assembly  manual in 64 indicated air cleaner 6419148, also no  revisions
As  for 2nd question, the “special crankcase ventilation equipment” was
RPO #242 for corvairs to be delivered in California . there is no sheet in
the  manual for RPO 242 with RPO 690 (spyder package), only a sheet for  the
standard 2 carb corvairs, and no sheets on rpo242 within the rpo690
breakouts.
I  would have to look through the 1962 order forms and see if any mention
is made  of rpo 242 with rpo 690; it is possible the spyder was exempted from
the  California vent system requirements, just as it was in 1966 (no air
injection  with turbo). I just don’t have any more time to look up stuff
today, there’s a  shop full of broken corvairs waiting for me.
For  concours, our postion is 62 and 63 spyder air filter housings are
painted black;  64-66 are chrome.
Trivia-  for 67, there were no engines at the beginning of the model year
that used a  chrome air cleaner lid, as the 140 was initially dropped from
the option list.  Chevy must have had a bunch of chrome lids still left over,
so to keep in  specification and use up some leftover parts, chevy painted
them black and  installed them on regular 95 & 110 engines. I get these cars
in the shop  every now and then, and when I see a scratch in the lid paint
with very shiny  metal underneath, I tell the customer to try some paint
remover for a nice  surprise.
lc.  >