<VV> 80 vs 84 vs 102hp head confusion

Robert Jennings jennirw at cass.net
Thu Dec 22 17:47:47 EST 2011

All parts that were machined from a casting or a forging had a unique number
for that casting or forging,  the 1st part made from that casting usually
had the next part number,
GM part numbers were assigned without any meaning and were assigned in
sequence from a block of numbers assigned to the designing division.
Therefore if the casting or forging had more than one part machined from it
the casting number could not identify them.  And if the machined part has a
number only one digit away it probably is the 1st part machined from that
casting- but not necessarily.  If GM chose to identify the machined part
they would stamp a part number or code so that the assembly people would
know what part to use.
I worked for Saginaw Steering Gear from 1960 to 1978 in the Product
Engineering Dept.

Robert Jennings
317 Division St
Morenci, MI 49256