<VV> Electric Fuel Pump

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 07:28:26 EST 2011

                                            B"H

Rich:  I successfully installted an electric pump on my 66 Monza just after the fuel tank under the car.

There is a rubber hose that connects the fuel tank to the metal fuel line (which in turn runs to the carbs).  I separated the hose from the fuel line going to the engine and inserted the pump at that point.  The existing hose from the tank goes to the inlet of the new pump.  You will need to get a length of metal fuel line and bend it to fit neatly and a small length of hose to connect to the car's fuel line to the carbs.

THis way you will get the advantage of gravity feeding the pump.  As I understand it, these pumps are better at pumping fuel than pulling or sucking it from the tank.  You will also need to drill a hole in the floor pan to install the pump and run your 12V positive wire to the engine compartment.  Don't forget to wire an oil pressure and/or inertia switch to shut the pump off in the event the engine stalls or you have an accident G-d forbid.

I installed the pump with gas in the tank.  It's messy, you'll get gas splashed on you when you are disconnecting the tank hose and installing the pump, but it can be done.

Wear your worst clothes and be preppared to take a shower right after you finish the job.

You may want to consider getting a shutoff valve to run from the tank to the pump, so you can shut off the fuel supply in the event the pump needs servicing (e.g. you want to change the filter which is attached to the pump).

I found that the electric pump does help the car to idle more smoothly and give somewhat better performance.  Clark's sells a kit to bypass the stock fuel pump if you like, but the plug somehow came off the engine block (the plug doesn't seem to have the hole that the pump does which is how the lock-screw holds it in place).  Better is to get the bypass plate that allows you to keep the body of your pump and remove the guts, while providing a clear passthrough for the fuel.  The old pump base stays in place with the original lock bolt.  You can keep your stock fuel lines and the engine compartment looks 100 percent stock.

Good luck...Bill Hershkowitz  66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C