<VV> SAWZALL BLADES

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Dec 28 11:14:57 EST 2011

I considered getting a real torch for cutting up the parts wagon, but settled instead on the Torch blades.  We also cut out a panel with a plasma cutter.  Some time ago I helped cut a car up with a real torch.

For just cutting up the car to go to scrap, the Torch blades in a good recip saw (I used a Porter Cable) is pretty hard to beat.  The 8" blades will just cut right through the rockers and pillars, I cut the car into four big chunks that my boys (18 and 20) and I could load into Ellie's truck to haul away.  The gas torch was more tedious, you have to go from both sides on box sections.  It also is less pleasant around the wiring, but the recip blades just cut through that too.  I have another non-Corvair parts car in process, when it's time to toss the body I intend to cut it up with the saw.

Using a plasma cutter was great because of the control, but it has the same problem as a regular torch, you have to go all the way around a box section.  It worked well for cutting out the piece we wanted to save, but I wouldn't want to cut up a car with one.

--Bryan