<VV> The demise of the American Car - Limited Corvair

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 11:19:05 EST 2011

                                     B"H

I have to add my 2 cents here, having been a young man in the early 1970s and having been in the market for a "new" car back in 1976.  I test-drove two Vegas, one with the 2-bbl carb, and one with the 1-bbl.  Both were horrible cars to drive, and they were brand new with stick shift!  The engines shook like the heads were shot and the things needed a tuneup in the worse way, they constantly stalled out when I tried to engage the clutch.

By contrast, the Corolla I tested was smooth and more powerful than either Vega.  However, at the time, American's specialty was large cars, so for every Vega, Chevette, or Pinto that was problematic, there was at least one Chevelle, Torino, or Impala that drove beautifully and had bulletproof reliability.

Regarding the Aspen/Volare, I had a '76 Aspen that was so rusted that there were only half-doors on the car.  I believe if you lived in the snow (call that "rust") belt, the cars rusted with a vengeance.  I have no doubt that in sunnier, warmer, climates, they were fine.

That transverse torsion suspension rode smoothly and handled very nicely.  But I have to confess that the Dart/Valiant was a much better car in general...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C