<VV> Vega (Astre) Praise

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Dec 30 20:00:34 EST 2011

At 10:53 AM 12/30/2011, Byron Comp wrote:
>I purchased the Pontiac sister vehicle to the Vega, the Astre, in
>1973, drove it three years and racked up over 60K miles, and like
>Bob, never did anything but routine maintenance. It was fun to
>drive, even on long (800-900 miles) trips. My three sons all refused
>to even speak to me at the time because as the youngest said, "It's
>a ____in' Vega." (BTW, he's now an excellent, certified mechanic!)
>Many of these writers, like Nader, have never driven the vehicle,
>have absolutely no first hand, hands-on experience, yet feel
>entitled to tear it apart because somebody else, perhaps who had a
>hidden agenda, again like Ralph Nader, made some disparaging remarks
>about it. IMHO, giving credence to writers like them is akin to
>believing every publicity seeker or politician who cries "Wolf"
>every time they need some attention.

I knew a fellow who was one of the weekend cruise strip participants
here in town.   He was usually on a Harley Night Train but then
bought an orange Vega-GT with white hugger stripes.  It had a rust
hole in one rear fender the size of a walnut.   And, it smoked.   Not
terrible but it smoked.

He drove it up and down Williamson Road all summer, through the
winter as his bad weather drive-to-work ride, next summer same
routine, then again the third summer.  Then he sold it to somebody
who he said was gonna pro-street the car.   I don't think he ever did
a thing to it except keep it in oil and gas and an occasional wash.

If you got around the engine's issues, they usually seldom ever gave
much trouble.  Another guy I knew had a '71 notchback that got iron
sleeves via one of those block "kit" replacements available via mail
order at the time and he drove it until his UK-born&bred wife ran it
into something hard and unmoveable in the early '80s.  I don't think
he ever did anything to his Vega either, except just drive it.

I recall it's tailpipe burned white.

tony..