<VV> 1968 110HP Engine = Crappy Gas Mileage

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 17:08:41 EST 2011

Hi Tom,

I saw your post with timing results.
http://corvairfleet.blogspot.com/2011/02/glindas-got-curves.html
thanks
Did you record the timing advance at different vacuum readings? (probably have to back the throttle off to keep rpm, and Cent Adv constant thru the test )

The 1965 Shop manual on page 7 of the spec section at the very end of the book has distributor spex. I probably have a 67 suppelment somewhere.
All the non turbo engines are similar VA, with an additional 22-24 degrees at 14-15 in Hg.

Only the 140 engine got full centrifugal advance (18 degrees engine) by 2800 rpm.
The 110 only got 20 degrees, and had to rev to 4800 for it to be "all in"

It looks like you gained 16 degrees of MA at 2500 rpm.

that looks more like the 1965 140 HP curve than the 110 curve, but need more info at higher rpm to be sure.
Normally I'd say give it all the centrifugal it will handle with the vac plugged at full throttle, but right now you are Close to the max of 32 at 2600 rpm recommended by some.
Next step would be measure your VA, and try another VA if it is not giving you additional 22-24 degrees at 14-15 in Hg.

Dan T