<VV> Corvair lowering

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Feb 7 01:22:32 EST 2011

At 04:21 PM 2/6/2011, Ray Rodriguez III wrote:

>I'm hoping to finish the 65' Corsa project this spring and I have to
>decide which project on my list to try next once it is sold =).  A
>"lowrider" Corvair (in the style of 49' mercs etc.)  build is one of
>the ideas on the list.  I want to do a lowrider late model
>eventually too, but that one will be in a more modern "hot rod"
>style given the more modern body style.

A lowered late 4-door with some tasteful dechroming, maybe a dark
color, possibly even some flush "molded" door handles borrowed off
something modern, might not be terribly bad to look at.   Just don't
put any thin spoke 20 inch  "wagonwheels" on it...   use something
like a semi-fullface wheel.

Maybe even get ambitious with some gray velour upholstery, possibly
appropriated from a later model sedan.   Some Mercurys/Mazdas have
bucket seats that resemble original Corvair buckets, got a couple in
a 'Vair here.  If it's a Mazda (or Mercury) wagon from the '80s the
back seat is also pretty close to the 'Vair stuff although you need
to fabricate mounts.   An "updated" Corvair interior in gray velour
doesn't look half-bad.

One guy I know put a Toyota grey velour interior, buckets and back
seat, into a '63 coupe and it didn't take much to get it to work.

Just rambling here...

tony..