<VV> Corvair lowering

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Sun Feb 6 16:21:42 EST 2011

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for info on....  what WOULD have to be done to achieve this, what is the easiest way to achieve it, and how it is done =).

I really like the idea of swapping in a late model rear suspension setup, I plan to try a few projects of this sort (the in-way-over-my-head sort!) on junk car's in the future...  just to see what happens and learn.  Getting in over your head is a good way to learn if you ask me, as long as the price isn't too high.   Keep in mind I'm not looking for the "best" way, I'm looking for the easiest way that will work and be fairly safe.

I'm hoping to finish the 65' Corsa project this spring and I have to decide which project on my list to try next once it is sold =).  A "lowrider" Corvair (in the style of 49' mercs etc.)  build is one of the ideas on the list.  I want to do a lowrider late model eventually too, but that one will be in a more modern "hot rod" style given the more modern body style.

Ray R.

  Ray - A couple of folks have swapped in a complete rear suspension from a late model Corvair. That increases your flexibility for camber adjustment, but it is a big chunk of work to bite off. I suppose that you could somehow raise up the entire powertrain, relative to the body, similar to what was done on many racing late-models. This drops the weight down, but leaves the transaxle-to-wheel angles the same, keeping camber within reasonable limits. That sounds to me like even more work than the late-early swap.