<VV> Corvair lowering

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 13:27:36 EST 2011

Okay, Carlton, I understand your concern. But I think Ron's comment was
tongue-in-cheek. I must say that I have seen almost every type of Corvair that
 has ever existed, and I can count the number of "screwed-up" Corvairs on
one  hand. Mother nature may have screwed a bunch up (rust, etc.) but only a
couple  of owners. (Of course, this is only my opinion.) Certainly lowering
a  Corvair is not screwing it up. It might be screwing yourself up - if you
are  looking for a Factory Stock Concours win! That said, lowering an early
model,  without going to great lengths and fabrication, is difficult, unless
you accept  the greatly increased negative camber.

Ray - A couple of folks have swapped in a complete rear suspension  from a
late model Corvair. That increases your flexibility for camber  adjustment,
but it is a big chunk of work to bite off. I suppose that you could  somehow
raise up the entire powertrain, relative to the body, similar to what  was
done on many racing late-models. This drops the weight down, but leaves the
transaxle-to-wheel angles the same, keeping camber within reasonable
limits.  That sounds to me like even more work than the late-early swap.

In a message dated 2/6/2011 9:53:25 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,