<VV> Collector Car insurance - Rally & Economy Run

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Feb 9 12:47:40 EST 2011

At 09:05 2/09/2011 -0500, Gary Swiatowy wrote:
>Message: 5
>Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 04:36:24 -0500
>From: "Gary Swiatowy" <gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com>
>To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>I specifically asked American collectors insurance about going to out of
>state shows where the vehicle would be my only transportation. And yes, the
>entire convention would be considered transportation and attending a show.
>Of course, there would be no coverage for damage incurred during a
>competitive event like an autocross.

The autocross is a closed course (not a public road) event and most
insurance will not cover either damage to the car or liability for
participating in the event.  This is why CORSA's insurance coverage of all
such sanctioned events is so important, and why all those who participate
should be CORSA members or at least pay a surcharge on the entry fee to
cover the insurance cost extended to them.

>But I wonder if coverage during a rally or economy run would also be
>precluded.

These events are conducted on public roads following all driving laws and
regulations.  As such, they are no different than a recreational
drive.  The act of driving itself, in some particular way, becomes the
recreation.  Your regular or collectors auto insurance coverage applies.

Stage rallies (aka Pro Rally), such as those sanctioned by Rally America,
are structured as a TSD rally, but have closed course portions of the route
(stages) where the object is to drive as fast as possible.  Regular
liability insurance is required for vehicles participating in these events,
but it only covers the open public road portions of the rally route.  The
sanctioning body provides liability coverage for the closed sections of the
route.  I doubt that any of the participants in these events carry
insurance for vehicle damage though...

Dale Dewald
CORSA Rally Chair
Hancock, MI